Prank turns to serious problem, lawsuit for Family Dollar in Kansas City
The Kansas City Star
Any worker thinking of pulling a “prank” on another employee should check out the front-page story in The Kansas City Star today.
It screams, “Don’t do it!” The unintended consequences are usually disastrous.
Barbara J. Nelson, 54, this week filed a lawsuit, saying she became sick after drinking a bottle of Coca-Cola she bought on Sept. 10 that had been laced with laxative tablets. The Coke was one of two bottles that had been intended for an employee at the Family Dollar at 3156 Troost Ave.
A police report said the soft drinks with the tablets were intended for a store employee who had a reputation of stealing food from an employee refrigerator. However, that employee noticed the undissolved tablets in the re-sealed bottles and moved them to a cooler at the front of the store intended for customers, the newspaper reports.
Nelson bought one of the Cokes, consumed part of the drink but also noticed the pills and went back to the store. She then became ill and had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital.
That “prank” will likely be costly in workers’ jobs and money as the lawsuit works its way through the courts.